Friday, March 9, 2007

Gingrich Admits to an Affair

Newt Gingrich has admitted he had an affair while he was supporting the impeachment against President Clinton.

This from AP:

WASHINGTON (AP) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich admits he was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair.

In an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson, Gingrich says, "There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

But Gingrich - a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate - says President Clinton was impeached by the House for lying under oath. Clinton was later acquitted by the Senate.Gingrich divorced his second wife in 2000 to marry his current wife, a former congressional aide more than 20 years younger than he is.

In the interview, Gingrich says, "There were times when I was praying and when I felt I was doing things that were wrong, but I was still doing them." The former House speaker says, "I look back on those as periods of weakness and periods that I'm ... not proud of."